Saturday, October 2, 2010

Marisa Nielsen, Miss Utah's Outstanding Teen 2010, Farewell Message

Words cannot express the life changing experience that has come from being involved in this organization. It has truly been an opportunity of a lifetime. This program honestly inspires young women to find their best selves and to make change in their communities, state, and nation. I am so grateful that the title of Miss Utah’s Outstanding Teen has forever changed who I am.

This year has been filled with exciting opportunities such as fancy galas, fundraising for cancer and education foundations, handing out milk with the wonderful ladies from Meadow Gold, and speaking to students in schools across Utah.
Two years ago, I started a program called the Buddy Box. The Buddy Box is an anonymous way for students to leave notes for the school counselor or administrator notifying them that their friend or they are having a problem. It has been a blessing to take the Buddy Box program throughout Utah. The Buddy Box is now in 600 schools and available to over 350,000 students. I am very humbled by the many students whose lives have been changed because of the Buddy Box, as well as by the students who have the courage to get their friends the help they need. Many people have donated their time and money to make the Buddy Box program possible, I will forever be grateful for you.

This year would not have been possible without the love, help, and support of so many. Thank you to all of the sponsors of this amazing program: Jenn Putnam at Utah State University for generously providing me with my scholarships for school; Veronica Michael's for dressing me from head to toe with beautiful gowns; Gary Summers for a cash scholarship and for all of the fun times at Hoogle Zoo, and Thanksgiving Point; and Highlite Studio for making me look spectacular in all of my pictures. All of these sponsors have been so kind and have made this year wonderful.

I would also like to thank the many people who have come into my life this past year and have dedicated their time, patience, and love to help me. Amy, my fabulous director, I loved spending time with you shopping, playing with make-up, and laughing until we cried. Whitney and Christina, thank you for being my big sisters. Thanks also to Renita, Gene, Raichellene, Taewa, Jackie, Vanessa, Kayla, Meredith, and the entire Utah Board. All of you are so amazing and I greatly appreciate all of the help and support that you have given me.

I also want to thank my family. It was such a blessing to look out at Miss America’s Outstanding Teen and see nineteen of my family members cheering me on and to know that many more were home supporting me and praying in my behalf. Amy, thank you for all of the laughs and good times, I would have to say that you are my favorite sister; Cory, thank you for your encouragement and for always taking the time to tell me that I am beautiful; Shane, thank you for always making me laugh when things got tough, and for being so willing to come and support me. I know how rough that is for a fourteen year old boy! It is finally your year at last, buddy!; Mallin, thank you for all of your love and support. You are such a blessing to me, and I am so glad that I had you with me on this journey; Dad, Thank you so much for spending days cutting slots in the Buddy Boxes and for always being there for me; Mom, thank you for your love and support, and for always encouraging me to be my best. I will never forget the endless hours spent driving across the state together and stopping at our favorite donut shops. Words cannot describe the love and appreciation that I have for each and every one of you.

I would especially like to thank my Heavenly Father. None of this would have been possible without Him. There have been many times this year when I have been blessed beyond measure. He has always been there by my side, and I hope that His light has been able to shine through me. I am forever grateful for Him.

To all of the contestants here tonight, I want you to know that you are all amazing young women, and I hope that being involved in this organization has shaped a bit of who you are today. To the next Miss Utah’s Outstanding Teen, don’t miss a moment of this experience. It will change your life forever. Work hard, and never give up. You can make a difference and you will change the lives of so many. Make this year what you want it to be.

Life is filled with endless possibilities. Dare to dream and make each day your masterpiece!
Love, Marisa

1 comment:

Ashlie said...

Marisa. You're amazing! I have loved reading your blog throughout this year and I can't even tell you how much you inspire me! You're such an incredible, beautiful person and I am so glad I had the opportunity to know you!!
♥/Ashlie